Wauapla Sunday July 8th


Laid round all the morning. In the P.M. Patsy Weston and I got a native boat and went for a sail. Calhoun and Gord got a bigger one and set out to train us. We were about two miles from shore and about a hundred yards apart when their rudder broke. While they were trying to fix it they capsized and we had the laugh on them. We sailed up to them and took off Ridrigo and went ashore for help. Another boat went out and got them off and finally got their boat ashore. Got mail from home, one letter from ____ and one from Ma saying that Pa is no better and that Dr. Carroll says he may live until August. I hadn't realized that he was so sick and can't believe that I shall never see him again. I wish I could be home. It must be a sad time for them all. I wish I could help in some way, but even now it may be too late. In the same mail Gord got a letter saying that his brother is sick in the hospital and is not expected to live. Wrote home.